Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sun Dried Tomato with Chicken and Mushroom Pasta

This is seriously a "Go to Quick Meal" when my schedule is all jumbled together and I don't have time to marinade and make something "extravagant" for dinner. A HUGE bonus, this is actually something that my husband, Darell, loves to eat when I make it. I make plenty so he has left overs for lunch and sometimes can even freeze some for when I'm not home to make dinner.


Sun Dried Tomato with Chicken and Mushroom Pasta

Ingredients:
1 lb. - Cooked Farfalle pasta (bow tie for those that don't know what it is :)
1 - 12 oz. - 16 oz. container of sliced mushrooms
1 - can Classico "Sun Dried Tomato Alfredo"
1 lb. - Chicken
1 1/2 T - Butter
2 - Cloves garlic

On a side note (1) this sauce is magnificent and I dislike Alfredo sauce tremendously! (2) It's usually super cheap for a sauce I get it on sale a lot 2 for $4.00. (3) I usually also add chopped up asparagus to this dish but all of the asparagus in the grocery store looked old and wilted so I withdrew from the purchase. If you choose to add the asparagus, I cook them with the mushrooms then add to the pasta later.

Directions:

In one skillet, melt the butter and add pressed garlic into the butter to flavor it. You do not want to burn the garlic! This will make it taste horrible! Allow the garlic to simmer about 30 - 45 seconds. Add the mushrooms. (I purchase pre-sliced mushrooms because there is only one thing I dislike more when prepping dinner and to clean out mushrooms is gross and very time consuming. Totally worth my extra 30 cents in my grocery bill!) Allow these mushrooms to simmer until they are cooked through. Stir occasionally to allow them to cook evenly and to not burn the garlic. Once finished cooking, place to the side. You will pour the entire mixture (garlic and butter included into the dish later)


I usually serve this dish with grilled chicken that I slice into strips. My incredible husband enjoys helping me in the kitchen so he cubed the chicken for me this time. With about a tablespoon of oil to the pan. Allow the oil and pan to heat up and then add the chicken. I only salt and peppered the chicken as the sauce has loads of flavor! When the chicken is finished cooking through, drain the oil. If you are grilling the chicken, make sure to cover the chicken with foil for 3 minutes after grilling to lock in the juices and flavor from the grill.



Once an ingredient is finished I usually toss it into my big mixing bowl. The mushrooms (with garlic and butter), the drained chicken, the entire can of Sun dried tomato sauce, cooked pasta, and Parmesan cheese. Stir until everything is well coated with the sauce and ready to serve.


I usually serve this dish with a salad and bread stick, bread and butter, texas toast, or something similar. With the veggies already mixed into the pasta, this is a great one dish meal.












No comments:

Post a Comment