Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bite size mini egg omelets


So this morning I was headed to a Mom's Connection group and it was our small group's turn to bring items in for the brunch. When most items that come in are things like donuts, bagels, etc. I wanted to make something that had a bit of protein . . . on a breakfast/brunch pot luck kind of way.

Bite Size Mini Egg Omelets
On a side note, I'm totally going to make some of these for the freezer and heat up when I'm in a hurry for Zoe's breakfast
Makes 24 mini omelets!


Ingredients:
Use of a 24 cavity mini muffin tin
8 eggs
splash of milk
5 slices of bacon
1/2 tomato
1/4 cup shredded cheese
salt and pepper

Directions:

Stack bacon and slice horizontally down the middle cutting the bacon in half. Then cube the bacon. Toss into a skillet and brown. This should take you no more than 4 minutes because the bacon is such small pieces!
Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl add a splash of milk. (I don't really know why we add a splash of milk, I just basically do it because my Mom always did . . . ?) Salt and pepper the eggs. Whisk the eggs until there is no separation of the clear part and the yolk. If there is a separation then when you're pouring the eggs into the tins it could get clumpy.

Spray the mini muffin tin with some form of butter spray to stop the eggs from sticking. When I sprayed I made sure the spray was also on the lips of the cavity because the eggs will puff up when cooked. Put this egg mixture into a liquid measuring container and pour evenly into the 24 mini tins.
Now add your omelet ingredients. I used tomatoes (2 or 3 small cubes per tin) and bacon pieces (5 or 6 small pieces). After dropping ingredients into the tins; top with a pinch of cheese . . . because who doesn't like cheesy eggs?

Pop into oven for 12 minutes. When finished cooking, take out and serve warm!


I think the next time I make these, I will probably throw in some kind of green veggie like asparagus or broccoli or something. Probably asparagus.

1 comment: